5.24.2009

Pantheon and Trevi Fountain

I have absolutely loved the time I have spent here in Rome. I really like the feel of this city and the people. Everyone has been very friendly and asked where we were from. At one point I was actually mistaken for being British so I guess London is wearing off on me after all. ;)

The people on the subway here actually seem more human and less robotic because they people watch, talk to each other, and are much more physically romantic with one another. I saw several couples sneaking in kisses on the subway whereas in London I have only seen a couple kiss once. The Italians also seemed to invade your space a lot more than they do in London. Ella experienced a creeper trying to hit on her in the subway by getting into her space on her side of the seat. Also, one the last day we were there a band was playing local music in the middle of the train. The tube in London is very business oriented and the one in Rome seemed much more lively and free spirited. People made eye contact, smiled, sat closer, looked around, and generally seemed to care more about the people around them then in London.

The weather is so much warmer here and it just feels more inviting. I love the over the top architecture and the marble everywhere and all of the beautiful small details everywhere that just make it perfect. Another plus is that Rome is GREAT about putting signs up for main tourist attractions that continually guide you on every turn which I feel like London could do a better job of because it is incredible overwhelming to navigate around.

We went to see the Pantheon today which was really cool. It had amazing columns in the front and looked really aged from the outside. On the inside it still looked to be in good condition and was very pretty although definitely not comparable to St. Peter's.

The Trevi Fountain was so much better than I was expecting it to be. You turn the corner of the street and there is this mammoth sized fountain with beautiful sculpting. It was absolutely incredible. My only regret is that we didn't get to see the city at night when everything is all lit up.

The National Museum of Rome was pretty cool because they had the discus thrower and some incredibly old coins from the early days of ancient Rome. 

Dailey and I had dinner at a pizzeria and sat at the outside seating for about an hour and a half talking about life, religion, politics, guys, and how much we liked this city. We both felt this city was less overwhelming than London.

Today is my first wedding anniversary with Andy and I am so sad to be spending it a continent away from him. I absolutely can't wait to be with him again in two weeks. 

Tata for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment