5.26.2009

V&A Museum, Harrods, and Shakespeare's Globe Theatre

I  have definitely gotten more adjusted to living in London and riding the tube everywhere. The intense culture shock I was experiencing last week has died down and I am starting to get used to the routine of everything. I am really going to try and enjoy these last two weeks without being so homesick. I suppose I will have to wait and see but right now I feel good about my remaining time. 

This may seem silly but on Friday a guy in our group showed us how to get to our student center and that has given me so much comfort just to know how to get to our safe haven in the middle of central London. Last week my roommates and I were always going different ways so I was getting really confused and I told him so he showed us and I remembered it and now it and now I'm so proud of myself. Remember it's about the small victories when you are in such a large city and you finally start to know your way around.

Today our frequent tour guide Bob Craig gave us a fantastic brief history of London (11-12:30). He told us how it started and struggled and then brought us up to present times. I can't wait to hear his lecture on WWII and the Blitz.

The Victoria and Albert Museum is a design museum and a had lot of interesting/beautiful objects in it. I got to see a Bernini statue and took a picture of it. It was filled with passion and movement and very intriguing to look at. They also had beautiful blue and white Chinese porcelain that I know my Granny would love.

After leaving the museum Dailey, Jenn, and I headed straight for Harrods. When I first walked in I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The store is beautiful with each room being a speciality and is definitely unlike any store that I have ever seen in America. We managed to spend two hours on just the first floor. I bought my big souvenir, a Burberry scarf, a wristlet, some tea in Harrods collectible tins, and a classic green Harrods bag/tote. I absolutely loved it and if we have time to go back see the other floors I would definitely love to.

We left Harrods in a hurry to head to the Globe Theatre to see the Comedy of Errors. I actually really enjoyed the play even though I had never read it. The play was very easy to follow and extremely funny. If anyone has the chance to see it in the States they definitely should because it is very entertaining. The Globe Theatre is not still standing, it is a recreation that was built after Shakespeare's original model. It was really cool but I thankful not to be a groundling and that we had seats at the top of the theatre.

Today was about two small victories: finding my way to the student center alone and getting home by myself even though our bus stop had been changed. I'm starting to feel like an official Brit with small victories.

Tata for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment