5.23.2009

Vatican City and the Spanish Steps

Today has been so amazing. I would definitely say one of the best days I've had since I've been in Europe if not the best. The metro was really easy to find from our B&B and really really user friendly.

The Vatican Museum (the Sistine Chapel is inside the Vatican Museum) as absolutely incredible. To know that I was actually there was completely crazy and surreal. The building was so impressive and went on and on for miles and it was room after room of awesome statues and fabulous ceilings and so many details that you would never see if you didn't look up.

Once we finally got to the Sistine Chapel (they make you weave in and out of numerous other rooms before that one) I was completely mesmerized by its beauty and all the details. I swear if they would let you and you wouldn't kill your neck you could just stand there and look at it for hours. It was definitely worth the trip to Rome to come and see this museum. Everything about it was just grand and magnificent.

We also went to see St. Peter's Basilica which literally made me catch my breath when I first walked in. It was unlike anything I have ever seen in my entire life. Even if you aren't a religious person I think you would find it moving. There was so much marble, gold, sculptures, and painting that I can't even fathom the cost of building that church. I was able to go and pray in a special prayer room which was also really cool. I obviously didn't kneel on their benches since I'm not catholic but I thought it would be really cool to say that I have prayed in St. Peter's.

The Spanish Steps area was really cool. It had all of the high end fashion and other fun shops. We also saw one of the nicest McDonald's in the world. It had marble floors and walls and served gelato ice cream along with everything else. 

Altogether it was a fabulous day! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment